Fr. Ernest Krantz, C.PP.S., died on December 29, 2020, in the Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital, Columbus, after a brief illness. He was 78.
He was born on March 17, 1942, in Atwater, Ohio, to James and Laura (Keller) Krantz. He entered the Missionaries of the Precious Blood in 1956 at Brunnerdale, their former high school seminary near Canton, Ohio. He was first professed as a religious brother in 1966, and later discerned a call to the priesthood. He was ordained on February 21, 1976.
After his ordination, Fr. Krantz entered parish ministry, including at Precious Blood Church in Fort Wayne, Ind.; Immaculate Conception Church in Celina, Ohio; and Our Lady of Good Counsel in Cleveland.
In 1986, Fr. Krantz was appointed campus minister at Saint Joseph’s College in Rensselaer, Ind. He served as chaplain and instructor of religion at Calumet College of St. Joseph in Whiting, Ind., beginning in 1988. In 2002, he resumed parish ministry, serving at Our Lady of Guadalupe parish in East Chicago, Ind. In 2004, Fr. Krantz returned to Our Lady of Good Counsel in Cleveland as parochial vicar.
Fr. Krantz was appointed as chaplain for the Adorers of the Blood of Christ (ASC) in Columbia, Pa., in 2005. He ministered there until his retirement to St. Charles Center in Carthagena, Ohio, in 2017.
Fr. Krantz was the youngest in a family of eight. Survivors include three sisters: Arline Rothermel, Ravenna, Ohio; Norma (Paul) Zwick, Louisville, Ohio; and Goldie Blanset, Henrico, Va.; and numerous nieces and nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews.
He was preceded in death by his siblings and their spouses, Marjorie (Glen) Moss; Clifford Krantz; Beulah (Alvin) Bennett; Lewis (Joanne) Krantz; and David Blanset.
Fr. Krantz was quiet and unassuming, introspective yet devoted to his ministry. He knew the scripture well and was a good homilist. He enjoyed leading classes in Scripture studies, and his students say they enjoyed the classes as well.
He loved to spend time outside working in his flower gardens, which he cultivated at many of his assignments. At the sisters’ center in Columbia, he planted and maintained a huge bed of tulips that greeted visitors every spring.
Because St. Charles Center remains closed to the public, a Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated privately on Monday, January 4. Fr. Jeffrey Kirch, C.PP.S., provincial director, presided and Fr. William O’Donnell, C.PP.S., was the homilist.
Burial followed in the Community cemetery.
Memorial donations may be made to the Missionaries of the Precious Blood, Cincinnati Province.
May he rest in peace.